Boat Accidents in Maryland
With coastlines bordering the Potomac river and Chesapeake Bay, there are many great opportunities to visit the beach or go sailing in Maryland. Tourists and local residents both enjoy visiting the Maryland waters in Charles, St. Mary’s, and Calvert Counties.
But there are also many opportunities for boating accidents. A boat accident can injure passengers or swimmers and cause serious bodily harm or personal injury with frightening long-term consequences —or even result in a boating fatality.
Some common causes of boating accidents include:
- Alcohol: Boating under the influence is one of the leading causes of operator negligence that often concludes in a boating accident.
- Inexperience: If a person can legally drive and operate a motor vehicle, that same person is permitted to legally operate a boat. But many times this lack of experience contributes to the unpleasant experience of a terrible accident.
- Bad weather: Wind and rain can make the water difficult to navigate and reduce visibility, increasing the likelihood of a boat accident.
Boating accidents tend to occur most in the afternoon and evening, so if you are out on a boat during these hours, be extra mindful of the increased risk.
Some typical boating accidents are:
- Vessels capsizing
- Vessels colliding with other vessels
- Vessels colliding with swimmers
- Vessels colliding with the docks or rocks along the shore
- Fires or explosions on the boat
No matter how careful you are, other vessels and their operators may endanger you and your fellow passengers. Many boat operators unwittingly engage in negligent conduct that places the lives and well-being of others at risk and in danger of serious injury.
Experienced accident lawyers in La Plata
Whether your Maryland boat accident involved a commercial or private boat, a speedboat or a sailboat, or even a Jet Ski, we can help you to obtain compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and the pain and suffering you have endured as a result of the accident. If there was damage done to your property, we can also help you to procure rewards for the resulting damage.
At Chapman & Bowling we bring over three decades of legal expertise to bear on your case. We thoroughly research each case and treat each client with the unique, individual care they deserve. Scott Bowling is an experienced litigator who possesses a thorough knowledge of the law, empathy for our clients and their cases, and the determination to achieve winning verdicts and the maximum compensation available.
Contact our Maryland law firm today
If you or someone you love has been injured in a boat accident in Maryland, please don’t wait to call or contact our boating accident lawyers at Chapman & Bowling, LLC. Our law firm represents clients throughout the state of Maryland with law offices in La Plata, Lexington Park and other locations by appointment.